💬 Smartcat Community

Hello,

I'm having some trouble setting up and executing projects that are strictly in-house, from project setup to assignee settings, access levels, and segment confirmation. 

Here's the situation: I work for a company that is in the industrial supply e-commerce sector. I am the head of localization (US-MX), and while from time to time we definitely do outsource translation/editing work, right now I am needing to create and complete some translation projects on my own. Even when I create a project myself, it doesn't let give me any of the manager permissions that I need to be able to finish the job as a manager would: I am stuck as a "Linguist" while I think I need the "Project Manager" permissions. 

This particular situation aside, I think it would be very beneficial for many users if there were a guideline/instruction manual for users who are not LSPs nor freelancers, but just businesses looking to organize their inhouse localization work. Could somebody guide me through how to accomplish this as a user? Any pointers from people who've done this themselves?

• Thumbs up 1

Hey! If I get the problem correctly, you just have to go over to that person’s profile, and change the access level to “Project Manager” in the right part of the screen. 

I misspoke, I apologize. We are actually both admins. This confuses me even more. Does it make much of a difference if I translate through the top account or the corporate account in Editor? If a coworker starts a project and assigns me the Translation task, this automatically gets assigned to my top account, which I think represents my freelance account? In user settings in Editor I get "Auto-propagation settings cannot be changed for this project because they are set by the manager" ... manager as in, project manager? Does an admin's access level supersede this? We couldn't find a way for either account to "confirm all segments" in order to finish a certain portion where an repetitive error needed to just be cleared, so maybe there shouldn't be more than one admin at a time...though I didn't see anything like this. 

13 minutes ago, rshL10N said:

If a coworker starts a project and assigns me the Translation task, this automatically gets assigned to my top account, which I think represents my freelance account?

Technically this is called “personal workspace”. It doesn’t mean you need to be a freelancer. This just means that the tasks that you were specifically assigned to are here. This is made to distinguish between tasks you manage and ones you execute.

14 minutes ago, rshL10N said:

In user settings in Editor I get "Auto-propagation settings cannot be changed for this project because they are set by the manager" ... manager as in, project manager?

Yes. To have access to this setting, you just have to choose "Manager" instead of "Translation" when opening the document. 

15 minutes ago, rshL10N said:

We couldn't find a way for either account to "confirm all segments" in order to finish a certain portion where an repetitive error needed to just be cleared

Mass confirmation is turned on upon request. I see that you do have it enabled for your account. So the most likely reason you can’t mass-confirm is that you’re opening the document as a translator not manager. But even in this case you can enable this. Open your corporate account — the “bottom” one, open project settings, go to the last tab, and set “Assignees can confirm multiple segments”.

17 minutes ago, rshL10N said:

so maybe there shouldn't be more than one admin at a time

Nope, it’s fine to have as many admins as you need.

Hope this helps!

Currently in Editor, as a Manager, getting the screenshots shown below. These are the same screenshots I see when I create a project myself and go in to translate it myself.  Perhaps these features have been enabled for the EU server not the US server? Unfortunately, I still don't understand which approach is optimal or advisable to complete the task as an in-house organization: to do the translation as an assigned translator (which could give me multiple segment confirmation privileges, but without the ability to alter auto-propagation settings; or I can do it as a Manager, which theoretically would allow me to mass confirm, yet now the separation between what I translate and what I manage are torn asunder. As an admin in the system, isn't there a way to just be able to stay within one partition of the corporate account and complete tasks? 

5ad58e31cdf55_ScreenShot2018-04-17at12_02_30AM.png.bb095c25afc61de3c8f4edba94531f13.png5ad58e32a33f8_ScreenShot2018-04-16at11_59_48PM.png.5bfdfa3a85f7710386089f57007a0023.png5ad58e339173a_ScreenShot2018-04-16at11_54_55PM.png.8c17c8b98e1abf012b5df98fe35bd9fc.png

3 minutes ago, rshL10N said:

Perhaps these features have been enabled for the EU server not the US server

Right! Then pls just write to support@smartcat.ai, asking to enable this on the US server as well.

10 minutes ago, rshL10N said:

without the ability to alter auto-propagation settings

Sorry, I messed things up a bit! To alter the auto-propagation settings, you should go to corporate workspace > Project > Repetitions:

101e29fc1add9c1aea37e44def0c1e7d.png

12 minutes ago, rshL10N said:

I still don't understand which approach is optimal or advisable to complete the task as an in-house organization

To this question, it depends on the project/task. If it is a short project without multiple workflow stages/target languages, I would sometimes just open it as a manager and translate on the fly. But in most cases I do assign myself, even if this gives a bit of split personality moments (like “Vladimir Zakharov, Vladimir Zakharov invites you to a project” emails).

Hope this helps!

• Thumbs up 2

This does help, got those features in on the right server, thank you very much for the help! giphy.gif

• Hooray! 2