ūüí¨ Smartcat Community
Vladimir

Smartcat Feature Suggestions (CAT, Editor)

Pinned posts

@Vova, I know I haven't been active on the forum for a long time, but I have been active with my translations in the CAT tool here

And today I got a notification about a post in this topic, so I thought it would be useful to have a single pinned topic where people could post all their ideas on how to improve the CAT Editor. (If there is already a similar topic here, sorry, I tried searching and only found this one)

I have three suggestions for now, one of which is about the multiple segments:

1. Make it possible to select specific multiple segments to confirm (not bulk)

2. I think there's an error in the Russian interface, looks like if it was translated from English wrongly (see the attached image #1): it says '–ü–Ķ—Ä–Ķ–Ļ—ā–ł –ļ –Ĺ–ĺ–ľ–Ķ—Ä—É —Ā–Ķ–≥–ľ–Ķ–Ĺ—ā–į' when the more logical sentence would be '–ü–Ķ—Ä–Ķ–Ļ—ā–ł –ļ —Ā–Ķ–≥–ľ–Ķ–Ĺ—ā—É –Ņ–ĺ–ī –Ĺ–ĺ–ľ–Ķ—Ä–ĺ–ľ' (I presume in English it says 'Go to segment number')

3. It would be great to somehow improve the error checking process. What I mean is this: for example, in my latest project I had lots of segments with specific terms (acronyms) which were marked as mistakes. It would be great to have an option to ignore it not just in one segment at once, but in all segments (see the attached image #2). Maybe we could have something like a dropdown or an additional checkbox 'Ignore in all segments'

2018-03-13_17-39-33.png

2018-03-13_17-44-47.png

• Thumbs up 1

@Vova,

I agree with Vladimirs suggestions. In addition I woud love to see the possibility of:

1. TBX import for glossaries;
  2. saving/exporting a sdlxliff-file as a Word document, and vice versa: exporting an uploaded Word document as a sdlxliff-file;
  3. being able to assign multiple source languages to a TMX. I sometimes spend a lot of time uploading a TMX or sdltm, only to get the message that the source language is not found. Some TM's I receive are GB English, others US English or simply English. Especially in the case of sdltm's it impossible for me (as far as I know) to check the source language;
  4. an improved spell check. It often happens that although I've added a term to the dictionary the orange exclamation mark still tells me there is a misspelled word;
  5. a preview window that show's you how the document would look like in print.

Thank you for all the great work so far!

Mark

10 hours ago, Melchor Aurelio Aguirre Sa said:

Create another feature so we can work at night.    Changing the background collor on high contrast of smartcat withot need of using coputer resources... image.thumb.png.eafa3f265fe03764a39c35d97e32844e.png

Adding different background contrasts to Smartcat so people can accommodate working at different daylight conditions.

• Thumbs up 1

A few feature requests for the editor interface (sent some of them to support, but anyway):

1. Using any filter makes going to the next unconfirmed segment impossible and goes only to the next segment regardless of whether it is confirmed or not. This restriction is ridiculous, it undermines the entire idea of using filters to speed up work and must be eliminated.

2. The current QA interface is hard to use. The default window size is laughable - 680x535 pixels, when we have 1080p and even 4K displays, seriously? To see every single error in numbers and dates, you need to click every single line. 5-10 lines is ok, but how about 200-300+? Give us a button to expand all of these lines at once. (and yes, I know about the downloadable error report file in .xls, it's just duct tape)

3. Give us a button to show/hide non-printable characters. We have an option to insert a non-break space, but we can't see it!

4. The editor window is scrolled automatically only when we reach the bottom of the window, and then we can't see anything that is below the last line. Please autoscroll and keep the current segment in the 50-66% range of the editor window height so we can see what text is coming next! Trados and Memsource do that quite well.

5. Let us search text by a less strict algorithm, like search engines do - enter 2 words, get all segments where these words are present in any place of the segment, not only one after another. The current search algorithm is the same as searching in quotes in google, it will only look for the exact phrase. If I need to find any sentences that contain words both "Dad" and "Mom" in no particular order, there's absolutely no way I can do this in the current state of the search engine, I need to know the exact phrase or only search for one word and then waste time looking through all results.

6. When editing someone else's translation, there's no way for me to confirm all segments containing only numbers, let alone segments containing text that only varies by a number. Let us do it! If it was available, all segments containing numbers would be confirmed automatically, except for those where the source and the translation are different.

That's enough for now.

It looks like the dictionaries that are available to be used within the editor are limited to the Lingvo dictionaries, which as far as I can tell, do not include my language pairs EN>ES and ES>EN. Since these are very common pairs in the industry, I think enabling the dictionary tab to work with some dictionary (Lingvo or otherwise) would seriously benefit the platform. There are surely other combinations that would benefit other companies/clients as well.

Or is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to integrate other dictionaries into the editor (aside from importing an entire glossary). Seeing how it works for EN and RU just definitions, parts of speech, usage....it really makes me wish I could do the same in my projects! 

Posted (edited)

It's nice to see people write quite same suggestions I did last year:) It's a bid sad I wrote them last year and they are still in need:)

I'm work in a game translation area and from the beginning of 2017 I transferred approximately all projects I work with into SmartCAT and create new (if client allows or doesn't have his own system) here.

I will add some suggestions I write to Support, maybe someone will support me here or they will be interesting for you:). Most of them are more for project managers/companies, but some of them can be useful for translators too.

SORRY FOR LONGREAD:)

• Improve/expand spell checker for languages. I know for Turkish, Russian and Ukrainian for sure that not all characters (letters and symbols), used today in these languages within typographic and editorial rules, are supported.
  • Add expand/hide option for documents. For example, I have 3 documents, they are being translated into 15 languages. And in order to look at specific language for the third document, I need to scroll through all the files. If I can hide the languages list for two previous documents - it will increase the speed.
  • Toggle the filter in project. (you can look at Weblate, they have similar functionality):
    • to show parent documents and child languages under them
    • to show parent languages and child documents under them
  • Create a project in SmartCAT called "SmartCAT localization" and give people an opportunity to translate it into any language they want. I'm sure you'll find a lot of volunteers from the SmartCat users to help with that, and quality will be great. And you always can see/ask for the experience of user to give him an editor or Proofreader role.
  • Mobile-friendly version of SmartCat or an App. Almost a year ago I've received a message that it goes to beta-testing and I will be invited... And you can guess I'm not:). I'm often on the move and always can take laptop with me, but a tablet or phone is always near, and I can freely use it to translate or edit the translations.
  • Delete "deleted" comments. If a comment is marked as deleted, it should disappear from the string. You can set a timeout for one hour or less, so people could restore it, but then it should vanish into eternity:) And if it's deleted, the string should not be visible in filters and the icon "comment" should disappear.
  • In filters add Date filter and User (for current language)¬†filter
  • As¬†Alexey Kushnirov¬†said, window scroll, central alignment etc must be, it eases the process. As a variant, it can be optional to fix current active line of translation as a vertically central one.
  • In exporting .txt file add possibility to remove automatic dividing of the lines and consider one .txt line as one string.
  • Return/add/update possibility to assign translators to all documents of the language at once, not one by one.
  • Fix the bug when after the update of document (adding/removing lines) the assigned translators are dropped. It happened several times for me with different document formats and it's not cool when you have to reassign 100 translators + their statistics for the file drops.
  • Add possibility to create folders and structure the files in Project. Sometimes we receive 100 separate files with 10 to 10 000 words in each, and have a list of this amount in SmartCat (without hiding and structuring them) is a suicide at the moment, especially if they will have more than one target language:)
  • Add bot for Discord. It's a number one chat for gamers and the moment, but I've noticed that many use it as a communication center and teamwork chat. It can be beneficial for SmartCat.
  • Add possibility to write context for the strings. I know that we have optional function for images, but text context is also great.
  • Rework the UI of the translation window a bit. At the moment there are too many empty space on the strings, they have quite big vertical size, where you can put additional useful information.
  • Add possibility to look at the other languages translation from the same window (additional tab, where all available in the project languages will be shown).
  • Excel import. Add ID or context column plus possibility to choose equal range for several or all sheets.
  • Add possibility to calculate statistics per language or per user on the Statistics tab.
  • Revise all the logic of the placeholders. Placeholders should be created only per Project (with possibility to copy them from another). If I define¬†a placeholder for, example \n, I want to have possibility to quickly insert it into the string. And not only the same amount as in source string, but maybe more. For example, source has one \n, but Russian translation is wider, and I need two or three \n. String can have additional icons/buttons to insert a placeholder from predefined before
  • It seems that existing pre-translation functions still have problems with same source strings but different context. In 90% system takes first match.
  • I'm a manager for company and a translator/editor for two languages. But if I'm not assigned to the project, the statistics doesn't count for me. It's an open question to fix it or not:)

I do want this platform to be number one and see great potential in SmartCAT. At the moment it's one of the best online CAT-tools, but easily can be simply and only the best.

I hope you'll like my suggestions and take several of them into account. 

Have a great day:)

Edited by Andrii Raboshchuk
  • Thumbs up 2
  • Super! 1

• Allow translators to use their own TMs and Glossaries for consultation on a client's project - and without making it available for the world to see, of course.

I can't see that anyone's addressed the issue, and I believe it is a major one that's missing from SmartCAT: formatting. Being able to modify the target text's formatting is a vital feature (especially in my language combination of French and English, although I imagine it's important for others too). Similarly, formatting appearing in the source would be useful, still keeping any required tags, as is possible in Trados.

If I were able to modify the target's formatting in the translation environment, I'd move all of my projects over to SmartCAT right now. But the lack of such a feature is a major setback in my work. I know you can go to the file afterward and modify the formatting, but this is hardly practical when working on projects that are tens of thousands of words in size.

• Thumbs up 1

When importing a TM, a dialogue box appears on the translation memory page that basically states "Importing units from..."TM"..."  but I think it would be helpful to have a progress bar/% indicator here. I believe there are a few other processes that generate a similar message (Generating statistics, exporting xliff I think, etc.) and along with this message, a progress bar would give an idea for how long the process will take. I know that you can continue working with this going on in the background but sometimes, you really can't. It would be a simple but helpful feature IMO 

Just my $0.02! 

Hello, I just have one suggestion that I think is pretty essential for all academics and that is the ability to make annotations. I mainly work on the translation of Buddhist texts, which can be very complex and requires extensive use of annotations, but it seems there is no way to create or export these from the smartCAT platform. As there is already a feature for making comments, it seems like it would be pretty easy to allow for a feature to just export comments as endnotes or footnotes when it is exported to a word doc. If I have to export the text before I can annotate it, I either have to track my work simultaneously in a second word doc, or use the comment feature to record annotations and manually enter them into the doc after exporting.

I find it strange that this hasn't come up very often in the forum because it seems to me like a make it or break it feature for any academic. It seems that smartCAT is more targeted for commercial use, however it is one of the few CAT tools available that can handle Tibetan, which is what I primarily work with.  So for me having this one feature would change smartCAT from an a tool that is almost more trouble than its worth, to an indispensably useful tool. 

• Thumbs up 1

End of pinned posts

Thanks for the suggestions, Vladimir! I know (3) is in the backlog already, not sure about (1). @Pavel Doronin, fya as well.

• Thumbs up 1

3 hours ago, Ot√°vio Banffy said:

Adding different background contrasts to Smartcat so people can accommodate working at different daylights conditions.

For now, I'd suggest using the Night Light option in Windows 10 or installing f.lux, they both reduce blue light intensity of the display after dark.

Good suggestion. I use f.lux as well, though I'm still unsure how beneficial it is (or how harmful). So far, I've been liking it. Has been the case for the past months.

1 hour ago, Alexey Kushnirov said:

For now, I'd suggest using the Night Light option in Windows 10 or installing f.lux, they both reduce blue light intensity of the display after dark.

Im star tryging flux   image.thumb.png.b48b260fe0626b2cd7e68e045aab8379.pngNice app.. Thanks alexey

On 07/04/2018 at 7:21 AM, rshL10N said:

Or is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to integrate other dictionaries into the editor (aside from importing an entire glossary).

Currently, there are no other ways of integrating dictionaries than using a personal Glossary. Check this out for some reference. :)

4 minutes ago, Ot√°vio Banffy said:
  • Allow translators to use their own TMs and Glossaries for consultation on a client's project - and without making it available for the world to see, of course.

This, again, can be solved by making a desktop version. Or by using other CAT systems that can work with .xliff.

Smartcat actually does have a desktop version. It's meant mostly for companies, but they do have it, and you can get it through the main website. I never tested it though.

EDIT: That was a mistake on my part. See below.

7 minutes ago, Ot√°vio Banffy said:

Smartcat actually does have a desktop version. It's meant mostly for companies, but they do have it, and you can get it through the main website. I never tested it though.

Can you provide a link to the desktop version? Thank you.

I just verified it, it was a misunderstanding on my part. What they have are a server and a standalone version, but they are meant for companies, focused on data security, and they are still online and require a browser to access. Sorry. :P

Yep, a desktop version synced with the servers in the background would be much better than the browser version alone. Now, when you confirm a segment during editing, the cursor goes to the next unconfirmed segment, even if it is absolutely identical to the one you just confirmed. You end up having to confirm the now-already-confirmed segment, wasting your time and losing focus.

1 hour ago, rshL10N said:

Just my $0.02! 

Ah, indeed! This is something I suggested long ago, back when I "met" Smartcat. Well, priorities, I believe. I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Celso Scott said:

As there is already a feature for making comments, it seems like it would be pretty easy to allow for a feature to just export comments as endnotes or footnotes when it is exported to a word doc. If I have to export the text before I can annotate it, I either have to track my work simultaneously in a second word doc, or use the comment feature to record annotations and manually enter them into the doc after exporting.

I tried another approach. I made a macro to add empty numbered comments to every sentence in a Word document and then uploaded the document to Smartcat hoping that it would list every comment after every respective sentence. However, I was wrong, Smartcat first lists all comments and only then the main text of the document. Alas. 

Maybe using Excel to put the original text, the translation, and the comments into separate columns could work, but it's kind of clumsy and I haven't thought of the practical implementation.