đź’¬ Smartcat Community
Aliona

Portfolio: websites, platforms?

Greetings,

I've spent years trying to find a decent place to keep my translator's portfolio. Could anyone share where do you keep yours? I'm looking for something a little more sophisticated than Word or pdf. Ideally, I'd be able to have both texts on the same page without a need to scroll, maybe even have 'original text-click-translated text' system.

All suggestions are welcome :) 

Hey Aliona :)

Truth be told, most serious translation clients prefer you never to mention their name in your portfolio. You have to keep it all for yourself. But if you have material to show off that you prepared yourself, and you are not considering your Word of PDF documents, then I believe the next best alternative is a website.

A properly tailored website can be an emotionally driving experience for the visitor, with your portfolio being the main method of making that experience flow in the website.

What did you mean by "original text-click-translated text" system?

On 2/7/2018 at 7:40 AM, Otávio Banffy said:

What did you mean by "original text-click-translated text" system?

I think she talks about a web plugin that works like this:

Source text (a.k.a original text) → user hovers the mouse over/clicks/highlights a given portion of the source text → there's a sweet popup with the translated version.

@Aliona, am I right?

—

And about the best way or how to show-off your portfolio. Wordpress or about.me could be two interesting places and perhaps the kickstart of a successful career! :)

Edited by Joshua Velasquez
  • Thumbs up 2

@Joshua Velasquez, thanks for your advice! And yes, what you described is exactly what I am looking for cause it just seems so outdated to send a 10+ page long pdf these days :)

@Otávio Banffy, I don't think I could agree with what you've said because a lot of recruiters I come across are interested in seeing a portfolio. So I don't really know how you could 'hide' your former clients' names :) Unless, of course, the only thing required is a test task.

Edited by Aliona
  • Thumbs up 1

Recruiters might be interested, yes, they want to know who they are dealing with. But clients, no. Some of them won't mind having you waving their name around like an accolade, but plenty of them don't want to let their competitors know of the tools and people they work with. It breaks their privacy.

As for recruitment, there are kinds and there are kinds. :)
Some recruitment processes ask you about your clients so they know where to put you in a scale, to compare with all the other 5 million translators they don't care about in their database, and see when they should use invite you. Real recruitment processes don't care where you come from, they care how good you are at your job, and they have their own ways of evaluating that, portfolio not being one of them. That's when not revealing your clients names is well seen: as someone who can respect his or her client's privacy.

After all, a translator could have performed work for the most prestigious companies in the world and still be inexperienced and meager. That's because big companies let a lot of things slip up, especially in foreign affairs, which include translations, and the translator didn't have a strong enough growth opportunity with them, partially due to that.

Also, not everything in your portfolio needs to have come from a client. Your portfolio is meant to reveal how well you work, not how famous your client is. You could have translated a street sign, it would not matter as far as the translation is good. That's what people (intelligent clients) care about.

• Thank you 1

Now I agree with you :)

And I would definitely like to know more about this:

5 minutes ago, Otávio Banffy said:

they have their own ways of evaluating that

• Thumbs up 1

:)

That depends on the client, of course. Some of them like to test you (a translation test), some of them like to build trust with you with smaller, simpler projects first, some of them just want to talk to you face to face. I've known of both end clients and agencies doing all that. I've seen them wanting you to convince them in a couple of email conversations only why they should hire you.

It really depends a lot on who they are.

1 hour ago, Otávio Banffy said:

I've seen them wanting you to convince them in a couple of email conversations why they should hire you.

This is true of any job :)

Thanks for your comments!

• Thumbs up 1

No one mentioned this, but: you can keep them on Smartcat :) 

Of course, this would still be Word/PDF, but it would be easily accessible for anyone trying to hire you on the platform.

And to keep the source text/target text structure, you could first download those translations as “Bilingual” from the Smartcat workspace.

HTH!

I thought I would contribute by adding some of my own experience on this subject. I work for three agencies, used to be four but I recently decided to leave one of them behind. The recruitment process basically entailed providing evidence of qualifications and doing a translation test in all cases. One agency wanted samples of recent work but I told them I wasn't prepared to publish clients' names or work and they accepted this. Initially I only got a few assignments and, once they had seen what I could deliver, they were prepared to offer more.

I am also registered with an online translations platform - this again entailed a test which gave you a mark out of five, the mark then being displayed on your profile.

I have found that if you have good qualifications, offer a language combination which is in demand and can deliver high quality work, you will be accepted.

• Thumbs up 1