💬 Smartcat Community

Hello folks

I hope you all have a nice weekend.

I wonder if you could help me with a translation.

I am again translating subtitles for economic videos around the topics of climate change, extraction technologies,  etc. This one is on renewable energies and the sentence I am struggling to translate is the following:

"The volume of manufacturing coming online, it’s going to more than double by 2020 and then a factor of 10 up again from today by 2030."

I think this sentence on it´s on, is quite clear, but just in case, and for a bit of context, this is what comes before: 

"And we look at the volume of manufacturing coming on line and we know that technologies get cheaper as manufacturing volumes go up, whether it’s Elon Musk in Nevada or it’s BYD in China or LGChem in Korea, the expansion plans are phenomenal."

This is how I have the sentence: "Para 2020, el volumen de fabricación online será más del doble y diez veces o más entre hoy y el 2030."

I have checked wordreference.com and many people use the translation 'un factor de'.

Then the translation could be: "Para 2020, el volumen de fabricación online será más del doble y de un factor de 10 o más entre hoy y el 2030."

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Noelia

Hi Noelia!

I have several translations in mind. I think the sentence talks about manufacturers that didn't have online presence are starting to have it, so:

El número de fábricas operativas se duplicará para el año 2020, y este valor podría aumentar hasta diez veces para el año 2030.

Perhaps I'm missing some context? 

Hope it helps!

PS: Heads up! Your post is duplicated :11_blush:

image.thumb.png.9a9a4336f9c6e22a34f7ca83dfc74ea7.png

Edited by Joshua Velasquez
  • Thank you 1

1 hour ago, Noelia Martinez Castellanos said:

I have checked wordreference.com and many people use the translation 'un factor de'.

Hi Noelia!

I wouldn't use "un factor de", it sounds like a literal rendering to me, but I might be wrong.  In any case, "A factor of ten up" simply means ten times more, so I'd go with your first option or Joshua's.

:91_thumbsup:

• Thank you 1

Besides agreeing with the translation of "a factor of 10 up" as "diez veces más", I would like to point out that you are not using the correct definition of "on line" in this context.

As per WordReference:

on line: 

• in or into operation:The manufacturing facilities will be on line before November.

This definition is backed up by the examples provided by you in the following paragraph.

Elon Musk in Nevada:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4088050/Tesla-s-gigafactory-Elon-Musk-s-megafactory-Nevada-desert-begins-battery-production.html

"With the Gigafactory online and ramping up production, our cost of battery cells will significantly decline due to increasing automation and process design to enhance yield, lowered capital investment per Wh of production, the simple optimization of locating most manufacturing processes under one roof, and economies of scale."

BYD in China:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/motoring/2016-10/11/content_27022976.htm

"The facility is expected to come online in the first quarter of 2017. It will start with 200 buses a year, Szijjarto said and, according to BYD, will eventually be able to manufacture 400 a year."

LG Chem in Korea:

http://www.lgchem.com/global/lg-chem-company/information-center/press-release/news-detail-66

"The company said that the remaining extra 300 thousand tons will be add [sic] via a new manufacturing site in China and should be on line in 2005."

• Thank you 1

Hi all

Thank you so much for all your contributions.

In regards to "a factor of 10", it didn't really sound right to me either, but as so many people suggested it in other forums, I wanted to double check. Definitely, 'diez veces más o 'multiplicarse por diez' sounds more natural.

Xahntra, thank you so much for your clarification in regards to the term 'on line'. I was picking my brain with that one! In fact,it is still highlighted in red in my translation because it didn't feel right and I wanted to have another look. One headache less thanks to you!

Joshua, thank you also for the heads up. I have asked to delete that post.

• Thumbs up 1

1 hour ago, xahntra said:

on line: 

• in or into operation:The manufacturing facilities will be on line before November.

That's what I was missing! Glad you pointed it out! 

@Noelia Martinez Castellanos, I fixed my translation so check it out and see if it fits.

Edited by Joshua Velasquez

2 hours ago, Joshua Velasquez said:

El número de fabricantes activos se duplicará para el año 2020, y este valor podría aumentar hasta diez veces para el año 2030.

@Joshua Velasquez thank you so much! 

I was going to use 'en funcionamiento' but now that you suggest 'activos', I was thinking to use the following: 

El número de fabricantes en activo se duplicará para el año 2020, un valor que podría multiplicarse hasta por diez para el 2030.

1 minute ago, xahntra said:

@Joshua Velasquez

No es que los fabricantes van a estar activos, sino que las fábricas van a estar operativas.

Yes, that's right. 

That´s why instead of 'fabricantes activos', it is better 'en activo' or as Xahntra suggests, 'fábricas operativas'

El volumen de fábricas operativas/fabricantes en activo se duplicará para el año 2020, un valor que podría multiplicarse por diez para el 2030.

Cheers guys!

I don't know what I would do without this community! :-)

• Super! 1