💬 Smartcat Community
Becky

SSL Certificate for Your Website

Do you have an SSL certificate on your website? If not, you probably should. I’m sure you've noticed the green padlock and 'https' instead of 'http' on many websites (see image below). This means the website has an SSL certificate and is secure. We used to see them mainly on e-commerce websites but it's now becoming the norm for any kind of website. As Google becomes more security focused, it will become harder to rank well without one. Also, Google will tell visitors that your site isn't secure.

SSL certificates aren't too expensive, starting at around $10 a year. There's even a free one, Let’s Encrypt, for those of you willing to put in the time to set it up (some host providers make it easier than others).

I'm sure many of you here know about the different options so feel free to chime in!

ssl certificate.png

I do have it and, fortunately, my hosting provider did all the work for me to set it up. I use the Let's Encrypt one.

• Thumbs up 1

I believe most hostings give away a year of SSL protection for free. And yes, for some weird reason “greenlocked” websites look classier, even though I don’t think it’s that necessary for websites that don’t involve user input.

• Thumbs up 2

3 hours ago, Vova said:

even though I don’t think it’s that necessary for websites that don’t involve user input.

Google might start pressuring webmasters to buy third-party SSL encryption no matter if they don't have forms, text fields, etc. I think the SEO competition is very high and they need more filters and rules to properly rank sites based on factors other than keyword volume search and difficulty indexes. Another peculiar example is the new AMP feature, the faster your website is, the better it will rank.

Nice post, Becky!

• Thumbs up 1