💬 Smartcat Community
Otávio Banffy

4 guidelines on the translation of online courses

Expanding on the post from two days ago on online courses, I wanted to show this small yet quite accurate image on preparing and translating an online course.

Today, most organizations use e-learning for training and development needs as it is considered flexible and cost effective. Many companies are expanding and entering into global markets and this has paved way to a rising need for translations of various content including training content.

Frankly I haven't had much contact with companies that use e-learning to train their employees, but the internet is surely filled with groups for a global audience, ranging from YouTube to MOOC platforms such as Coursera, edX and others.

online-course-translation-steps-infographic.png

Step 1 and 3 might be outside of your responsibilities. These are often things that the creators themselves have to worry about. That infographic is mostly for creators anyway. Still interesting for translators, especially in what relates to text expansion and special characters.

I naturally compared these considerations to gaming and it's quite fitting as well. Text expansion is a technique that has been used millennially in certain kinds of games, especially in the translation of JRPGs, and it's something every translator needs to worry about.

And they are not limited to online courses and gaming either. These considerations can be taken into manuals, encyclopedias, catalogues, videos and more.

If you have the chance to influence a content's creation to the point of orienting the design, or designing something yourself in a localization process, you can keep them in mind.

Let me know whether you'd like to see some more thorough materials in that regard. :)

They do have an eBook on that same page. It's mostly conceptual information, introductory, but it does have some interesting remarks if you want to get more involved. 

• Thumbs up 1
  • Thank you 2