ūüí¨ Smartcat Community

Read the topic before voting  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in an exclusive online course to help you launch a freelance translation career?

• Yes
    • No
    • It‚Äôs hard to say
  2. 2. Would you be willing to pay $250 to take part in such a course?

• Yes
    • No
    • It‚Äôs hard to say

Pinned posts

Hello everyone!

Many of you might know me from my webinars on Smartcat Academy.

Based on these webinars and the discussions that followed, I’m planning to launch a paying online course to help aspiring translators who need a little more personalised guidance and motivation to set up their freelance translation business.

The free webinars we recorded will still be available, but this course takes things a step further by including live group coaching and feedback sessions each week, as well as concrete tasks and worksheets to be completed.

The aim is that each week, participants will be making specific steps towards becoming full-time freelance translators (and getting feedback and guidance on their progress from me).

So it would be like participating in 8 weekly coaching sessions but at fraction of the price that individual coaching sessions would normally cost.

I’d like to put some feelers out there and ask you, as part of the Smartcat Community:

Would you be interested in attending such an exclusive, paid course?

We’re still determining the specifics, but the idea is:

• The full course would cost $250.

• It would include 8 weekly sessions, to be completed before the end of the year, including:

• Pre-recorded, concise presentations (30 mins max.), one for each weekly topic,

• An online group coaching session with participants that includes discussions, feedback and specific advice (live with replay available),

• Tasks or worksheets to be completed by the participants each week and reviewed by me before the next session.

• The group would be made up of a maximum of 10 participants, with at least 3 needed to run the course

You can find further information on my new website.

I would love to hear from you if you have any comments or questions regarding this course, or if you think you might be interested in participating.

If you could take 30 seconds to vote in the above polls or leave a comment below, that would be great!

• Thumbs up 4

End of pinned posts

I've voted and said yes, but now cannot pay for this webinar.

Sorry if I've been mistaken and gave you ant trouble.

Best regards

Zurab Abashidze   

This course as an idea is good, however I believe paying a course would be an issue for a freelance, as he/she would like to ensure the value out of such course. So, why do not you sign an agreement to deduct the course fees from the earnings out of the translation projects, which the freelancer will win from the course learnings?

Thanks for your comments, the course is due to start early to mid-October, running through to December. We're just organising a payment plan and dates, but the live webinars will be scheduled according to the participants' availability.

• Thumbs up 1
  • Thank you 1

Hi!

Yes, that's USD 250 for the full course.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Una

Hey Una,

The idea is great and you sure have enough authority on the matter to get people incentivated.
I'd advise sharing some bullet points of the content you intend to promote on the course, and why it is important. That would get people more assured of what they're getting into.

Now, answering your questions, would I be interested? When I was starting out, yes.
$250 USD is a little steep for most courses, but one where there is coaching, a friendly and energetic environment, and engaging activities to have is bound to be worth that (and more) to some people.

Good luck there on the course. :)

• Thumbs up 2

Thanks Otavio!

Yes, there's lots more information on the website, along with an intro video that explains more: https://thetranslatorsaunt.com/courses/

Here's the summary that you can find there:

The themes covered each week will be as follows, although some flexibility will be allowed for to adapt to participants’ needs and expectations:

WEEK 1: SETTING GOALS

WEEK 2: ESTABLISHING YOUR BUSINESS

WEEK 3: PLANNING OUT YOUR PATH

WEEK 4: SETTING RATES

WEEK 5: YOUR CV & ONLINE JOB SEARCHES

WEEK 6: PITCHES & PRESENTATION

WEEK 7: WORKING WITH AGENCIES

WEEK 8: CONTACTING DIRECT CLIENTS

At the end of this course, participants will have:

• clearly defined their¬†professional goals
  • mapped out a path and essential benchmarks to grow their business
  • officially established their business and created an online presence
  • decided on rates and services
  • created an attractive CV and sent it out to at least 100 agencies
  • practiced a pitch and crafted an effective presentation letter
  • begun contacting specific direct clients

Best, Una

• Hooray! 1

Hello! 

I'm afraid there are no discounts in place, the price simply reflects the time investment and personal feedback each participant will be receiving. The idea is to limit the number of participants but be able to provide more personalised guidance to each one, rather than just have presentations on-demand which are aimed at a more general audience. It's therefore a combination of presentations + 8 mini coaching sessions if you like!

At the moment Smartcat Classrooms is not affiliated with any specific CPD organisation so there are no official diplomas that are obtained by following its courses. However, it is of course something you can highlight as part of your professional development in your CV, online profile, etc. By the end of the course, you won't have a symbolic diploma, but you will have made significant progress in developing your freelancing career.

I'll be talking about the course during the Q&A session with Vova tomorrow, so please do join us if you have any other questions!

Best,

Una

Hi Hadeel, 

Normally Teachable only applies VAT to people signing up from the EU. This shouldn't apply to you if you're trying to register from anywhere else in the world. If you try to register and see that an added VAT fee is being applied on top of the 250 USD course fee, let me know.

Best,

Una

:-)

Hi Una,

I'm interested in the course. Since two years I work as an in-house translator (English to Dutch) for a digital company. I'm not a NAATI (Australia) certified translator, I don't have any translation degrees/diplomas/certificates. Would this be a problem for becoming a freelancer? Just want to know if the course would be still valuable for me or do I first need to make sure that I become a certified translator?

• Thumbs up 1

Hi Marielle,

There is no requirement for the course beyond wanting to develop your translation skills into a real freelancing business. If you've already worked as an in-house translator and have experience in the digital sector then you're more than good to go!

Specific certification can be useful but it is not required to be a translator. For example, if you want to go on to be a legal translator in court, then you will likely need to be court-certified at some point. But for the vast majority of sectors, what matters is great language skills, experience and knowledge of the sector you choose to work in, and good business sense. 

What my course aims to help you develop is this 3rd aspect: good business sense. Moving into a freelancing career can seem daunting, and in this course you will get the support you need to take those crucial first steps into the freelancing world.

You can already start working for your first clients after a few months, and after that, depending on your career ambitions, you can always look into getting specific certifications if you think these would be beneficial to you.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,

Una

:-)

• Thumbs up 2