💬 Smartcat Community
Vova

What kind of educational content works best for you?

Let us know!  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of educational content works best for you?

• Webinars
    • Video tutorials
    • Written instructions
    • Personal mentoring
    • Other

As you know, we are giving webinars almost every week. We also have quite a few step-by-step instructions written down, and even some video tutorials.

This got us thinking: What type of content do you guys actually prefer? Are you of the reading type or do you prefer watching short videos? Or maybe detailed one-hour webinars work the best for you?

Vote on the poll above, and make sure to comment on your choice. We want to make learning the ropes of translation and translation technology easier for you!

P.S. Thanks to @Faustina for the idea to post this survey!

• Thumbs up 4

I like the webinars we have right now. I think you do a great job, Vova! Video tutorials might also be useful for specific smartCAT functionalities, but webinars can cover that too.

• Thumbs up 2
  • Thank you 1

Thanks, @Becky! Sometimes I feel that one-hour webinars are too long to keep you guys focused and interested. Am I being overly paranoiac?

• Thumbs up 2

I like video tutorials and webinars because they tend to be more hands-on and straight to the point.

Webinars have the added advantage of being interactive, so we have the possibility of clearing out doubts right there, right then.

As to length, it's not a bad idea to try with 40-minute webinars and see what happens. After all, they say the average attention span of an adult is 45 minutes. I wouldn't know what's the average attention span of us translators, though. :P

• Thumbs up 2
  • Thank you 1

10 minutes ago, Virginia Monti said:

I wouldn't know what's the average attention span of us translators, though. :P

Everyone knows that — 24 hours, the usual time you need to translate in a row to deliver that urgent project before yesterday. :P 

Thanks for the feedback, Virginia!

• Thumbs up 1
  • That’s funny 1

As for me, I prefer written tutorial for two main reasons:

1) I think the written tutorials are straight to the point

Don't know about you guys, like @Virginia Monti, but I just think about how YouTube videos with instructions are often so helplessly filled with unnecessary things like typing the instructions in the text editor in the video (yuk)

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer written instructions with images. You don't need to seek the video to repeat. You don't need additional channels to get the info (just visual, without audial, that's what I prefer)

Also, I remember quite a few entertainment "Top 10" rating videos (like "Top 10 movie villains", for example) where you just want to get the ranking, without watching 10 minutes of someone rambling along about it. I remember how people who just witten the resulting list in the comments, got lots of upvotes for saving their time

2) It's all there in one place at once

What I mean by this is that you just have one page on the forum. You don't need to load the video, seek it and rewatch to make sure you got all the relevant info

When I was watching the videos, though, I still made written notes (summaries) so I could just look at them to get the whole idea later.

Ctrl+F doesn't work with the video (for now). That's my main point here

P.S. When I see a notification about a webinar in my emails, I think, "Well, I have to wait until I have about an hour of free uninterrupted time to watch it whole and effectively absorb the info". But with the text it just seems more feasible to me. Don't know. Almost sure it's all subjective

Still have almost all of the webinars to watch. And they are really interesting. If only there were written summaries (:

P.S. One good example of what I mean is this. Just a random video about how to add a new car to GTA (I often translate GTA-related news, so...). It's in Russian, but you can clearly see what I mean. A lot of unnecessary talking, erm... uh...

Of course, in video you can see how it's done. But you can also just make a screenshot with a supporting text to save 2+ minutes

And these instruction txt's in the video I talked about (it's opened all the time there, in the left)...

It's still a good video, and it helps you achieve what you need, but I don't like all the padding that is more often than not present in these. And I don't mean to critisize any of the webinars, but for me just seeing that this video is almost 20 minutes and you can convey all the necessary info in 5 is a key point

P.P.S. Sorry for this stream of conciousness, but I found a video that sums up all my points. It's in Russian again (so it's mainly for @Vova) but still

And sorry if there's a little swearing (in Russian). I think the idea is worth it

• Thumbs up 4

33 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

I remember quite a few entertainment "Top 10" rating videos (like "Top 10 movie villains", for example) where you just want to get the ranking, without watching 10 minutes of someone rambling along about it.

Maybe the secret is that the point is in rambling? :) Just saying — for the most part I feel the same way.

• Thumbs up 2

Yes, people want to get their thought out. I'm the same, even this time

But that's what I think. Again, the second video may be a little harsh, but it tells the truth about many of YouTube folks. And, hence, about how a webinar/instructional video can digress and become far more lengthy than necessary

Just an alternative opinion (an anti-thesis that is), Hegel-style (: (I like that smiley)

• Thumbs up 2

3 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

Again, the second video may be a little harsh, but it tells the truth about many of YouTube folks

It took the guy 5 minutes to get to the point that he hates it when it takes guys 5 minutes to get to the point. That’s so meta :) 

3 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

(: (I like that smiley)

And there’s even a shorthand for it → (: (: 

Offtopic warning to myself :51_scream:

• Thumbs up 2
  • That’s funny 1

I definitely prefer video tutorials and webinars.
When functionalities are explained in a video tutorial, for example, I pick up more details than in a written page.
As for webinars,  the length is on the average but, as @Virginia Monti said, let's try with 40-minute webinars and see what happens. ;)

• Thumbs up 1
  • Thank you 1

Besides personal one-on-one mentoring, short (under 4 minutes) video tutorials work best for me. I think having a channel with specific topics is a great idea. Then one does not need to fast forward through a 15-minute video looking for a 10-second answer to his question. Webinars are great because I can actually ask questions and get answers. Written instructions have to be very detailed and have screenshots to be effective. 

@Vova -regarding the length of webinars, I agree with the others that you can shoot for 30-40 minutes of rapid-fire presenting the topic and then 15-20 minutes for Q&A. 

• Thumbs up 1
  • Thank you 1

Since most people prefer video tutorials, I would support @JuliaT's suggestion about the length of the videos. It would be better to break them into small chunks with just one problem at hand, and maybe make "playlists" of videos regarding the same area

For example:

Playlist "Smartcat translation hints" ("How to break a segment into two", "How to add a word into a glossary"...)

Playlist "Marketplace hints for freelancers" ("How to specify the dialect of a language you work with"...)

• Thumbs up 1

2 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

Since most people prefer video tutorials, I would support @JuliaT's suggestion about the length of the videos. It would be better to break them into small chunks with just one problem at hand, and maybe make "playlists" of videos regarding the same area

For example:

Playlist "Smartcat translation hints" ("How to break a segment into two", "How to add a word into a glossary"...)

Playlist "Marketplace hints for freelancers" ("How to specify the dialect of a language you work with"...)

Yes, that is exactly it! I find this format the most helpful.

• Thumbs up 2

On 8/17/2017 at 10:25 PM, Vova said:

Thanks, @Becky! Sometimes I feel that one-hour webinars are too long to keep you guys focused and interested. Am I being overly paranoiac?

It depends VERY much on the quality of the moderator and his talent to speak in slow fluid sentences. I had several horrid presentations where I was not 1 mm the wiser after. All plastered with ehm, ähm, well, right, as every other word. Terrible.

• Thank you 1

22 hours ago, Elm said:

It depends VERY much on the quality of the moderator and his talent to speak in slow fluid sentences. I had several horrid presentations where I was not 1 mm the wiser after. All plastered with ehm, ähm, well, right, as every other word. Terrible.

Yes, the quality of the moderator/presenter is key. Luckily, we have an awesome community leader who knows the world of translation and smartCAT, and happens to be a great communicator. I'm not trying to be a suck up, it's just how I feel. Some webinars will suit beginners more than advanced translators/smartCAT users, and viceversa, but there's something for everyone. In my view, this inclusivity is the beauty of the webinars and the community.

• Thumbs up 1
  • Thank you 1

23 hours ago, Elm said:

Hehe, true. I’ve made my share of ehms and ähms (love the spelling) for sure :64_zipper_mouth:

7 minutes ago, Becky said:

Luckily, we have an awesome community leader who knows the world of translation and smartCAT, and happens to be a great communicator.

Oh :36_flushed: :11_blush: Thank you @Becky!

8 minutes ago, Becky said:

Some webinars will suit beginners more than advanced translators/smartCAT users, and viceversa, but there's something for everyone.

Thank you for noting this as well!

• Thumbs up 2

It’d be really cool if all audiovisuals (webinars, videos etc.) were duplicated in text+screenshots (perhaps with time markers linking to the audiovisuals). I really don’t like webinars cuz there’s quite a lot of talks that could be easily skipped or compressed. Please, don’t get me wrong, I’m speaking about any webinar, any video tutorial on the Internet in general. I get distracted and impatient.

Personally, I have a lot of difficulty watching videos.

Аs Vladimir explained, often they are long for nothing (and I loved that video about zhopovzryvayushhyje manualy haha).

I always get an e-mail notification when a new SmartCat webinar is coming, but to this day, I have never found the courage to watch them. It's just that I can't be sitting quietly and not moving when I'm in front of my computer to watch a video. This I can do only lying on the couch in front of TV. And even then, I lose concentration very fast and go read something else instead at the same time as TV is playing. Also it's difficult for me to ask the kids to stop running everywhere or translation projects to stop arriving. )))

I'm a reader. I need written instructions – with pictures is ideal, yes. Summary of main points of a video in written text is a must, also. I can totally spend several hours reading text – I very often get lost on Wikipedia. But watching a video, nooo…

The maximum I can take is 2-3 minutes, straight to the point. Like this guy does : https://www.masteryouremail.be/e-mail-is-asynchroon.
I personally think he is a genius. At 7 seconds, he stated what the issue is (e-mailing is an asynchrone way of communication). At 12 seconds, he clarified what that means concretely (it is not a direct communication where you get immediate response to every question you ask). At 21 seconds, he explained what is the solution (to take this into account or avoid e-mailing for certain communicating needs). Then he clarifies (23 seconds : use the phone instead). He gives example of why it is a big problem if you don't do it (53 seconds : you spend all your day watching your inbox). Then only he gives additional advice (1:20 : don't check your inbox in the morning). Then he repeats why it is a problem if you don't follow the advice (1:40). Then he just repeats what he explained in a few points (30 seconds in total).

If you don't do that, I just quickly find something else to read/write about, the video is stilly playing in the background, but I'm not listening anymore and am just praying for when I will be able to switch the music back on.

Edited by Gil