💬 Smartcat Community
Tulip

Marking segments/placeholders as untranslatable

I would like to know if I can use RegEx to not only mark up placeholders but to actually hide them from view. I'm working on a bunch of JSON software files and I'd like to get rid of the junk that gets sucked into SmartCat, mostly the string IDs. I have figured out how to mark the placeholders (and mind you, I'm not a Computer Science major - I'm a linguist messing about) but I am wondering if I can make them completely invisible (hide them) as non-translatable. Does anyone know if you can do that?

• Thumbs up 1

9 hours ago, Tulip said:

I would like to know if I can use RegEx to not only mark up placeholders but to actually hide them from view. I'm working on a bunch of JSON software files and I'd like to get rid of the junk that gets sucked into SmartCat, mostly the string IDs. I have figured out how to mark the placeholders (and mind you, I'm not a Computer Science major - I'm a linguist messing about) but I am wondering if I can make them completely invisible (hide them) as non-translatable. Does anyone know if you can do that?

Hi Tulip,

Not sure this is doable right now. @Pavel Doronin, are there any options/workarounds?

Hi @Tulip

I am afraid, you can't completely hide them. But I am wondering how the string IDs are imported as a translatable text. Could you please show me an example of the JSON structure you are importing into Smartcat? We'll see what we can do.

• Thank you 1

Hi @Pavel Doronin (and others),

Here is a snippet of code I'm working with:

<p><span id=\"selectionBoundary_1494791464693_2716588534497395\" class=\"rangySelectionBoundary\"></span></p><p><span style=\"color: #404040;\"></span></p><p class=\"p1\"><span class=\"s1\"></span></p>",
    "OrgGroupId": "cb7082f9-27a1-4096-86c4-43eb1c59db18",
    "Sections": [
        {
            "Id": "a6357e7d-08eb-4f4d-8f6d-6175cad7b824",
            "Name": "Proprietary Text Removed Here - Sorry",
            "NextSectionId": null,
            "Questions": [
                {
                    "Required": false,
                    "AllowJustification": true,
                    "RequireJustification": false,
                    "Type": 4,
                    "Id": "2879904f-f7d6-45d9-b60c-98579fd2d173",
                    "Name": "Proprietary text removed here - Sorry.",
                    "ReportFriendlyName": "Proprietary text removed here - Sorry.",
                    "Hint": "",

I have highlighted the string IDs that SmartCat presents as translatables. These, of course, should not be translatable. Anything I can do about that?

Sorry, the editor removed my highlights upon posting. I'm talking about these strings IDs: "2879904f-f7d6-45d9-b60c-98579fd2d173" etc.

Here is another thought. I am able to automatically turn nearly all of those string IDs into placeholders, using a basic RegEx formula. Is there a way to filter out ("Hide") all segments containing only placeholders?

On 8/4/2017 at 6:13 PM, Tulip said:

Here is another thought. I am able to automatically turn nearly all of those string IDs into placeholders, using a basic RegEx formula. Is there a way to filter out ("Hide") all segments containing only placeholders?

Sorry for a long reply, and I’m afraid there isn’t. A (really weird) workaround I can think of is to load the whole thing into MS Word, wildcard-search for the parts that you don’t need translated, and mark them as hidden. Such text will not be loaded into Smartcat.

Or, better yet, mark everything as hidden, and then search for the translatable parts and unhide them. If you only need to translate things that go after [Name: ], this should be fairly easy to do.

Sorry I don’t have a better answer :) Maybe @Pavel Doronin does.