💬 Smartcat Community
Virginia Monti

What's your favourite translation quote?

If I had to choose one, It'd be: 

Nothing is as consubstantial with language and its modest mystery as the questions raised by a translation.

Ningún problema tan consustancial con las letras y con su modesto misterio como el que propone una traducción.

This is taken from Jorge Luis Borges' essay Some Versions of Homer (Las versiones Homéricas).

What about yours?

• Thumbs up 3

Sorry, mine probably is not very inspiring, but I've found it once when I was in the described mood exactly, and it's kinda stuck in my head ever since.

Sometimes you get very angry at the author. You wander around, agonizing. Over mismatched perspective, over differences in logic, sometimes about his carelessness. And if in that moment somebody comes to you and asks, like, how can we help? You answer in all seriousness: I need a careful, quick-witted, physically stout person who would sneak up to the author and forcibly bang his head against the table several times, while saying: “Don’t write like this, bitch! Don’t! Here you are, writing, and people are suffering!”

This is from an interview with translator Alexander Bogdanovsky (Александр Богдановский).

• Thumbs up 4
  • That’s funny 2

“Fidelity to meaning alone in translation is a kind of betrayal.” Paul Valéry

• Thumbs up 1

Just discovered this gem: 

"You shall know a word by the company it keeps." John R. Firth

• Thumbs up 4

"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart." -Nelson Mandela

To learn a language is to have one more window from which to look at the world. –Chinese proverb

• Thumbs up 3

I came across these two:

"To translate is to create a new life and to enter immediately in a peculiar agony." 

"A translation translates its own inherent paralysing dialectics; that is, the struggle between what is considered translatable and what obscurely presents itself as an obstacle."

—From the book Traducciones malditas (Damned translations) by Horacio González (2017).

P.S. A Munch's emoji would have suited these quotes (:

• Thumbs up 3
  • That’s funny 1

6 hours ago, Virginia Monti said:

P.S. A Munch's emoji would have suited these quotes (:

We have one :51_scream:

• Thumbs up 2